When I started on my entrepreneurial journey I wanted to pick up any kind of clients , the focus was growing the business.
Over time I realised that this was sapping my energy and the clients either left or I had to let them go.
This was a waste of my time and energy. And here are a few lessons I picked up.
1. Scarcity Vs Abundance. It is the scarcity thinking that got me to pick up any and every client that came my way . What if there was no business was the biggest worry.
I soon realised this did not help. I would end up picking wrong clients or work .
This is also true for a job , picking up any job to pay the bills soon backfires as you hate working everyday.
Focusing on Abundance helps . There is truly enough in the world for your need. You need to trust the process of the universe.
This needs patience but it works. Define the kind of clients you want to work with it will save you a lot of wasted time and energy.
2. Greed finally hurts . You accumulate more , you get on a treadmill that never stops.
Focusing on having more drives you to pick up more work not necessarily what you love to do.
If you wish to live life on your own terms focus on what is truly important, cut the crap , de clutter life , drop the extras.
When you drop greed for more in life the pressure to go after any client or job also drops away.
3. Don’t look at others . This is one of the biggest problems, we constantly look at others and compare.
When your neighbour has a bigger car it becomes a problem. So we keep accumulating things so we can show off . We want to look better.
We chase business to compete and it makes us feel good . We always feel that the spotlight is on us while the reality is no one is bothered .
Everyone is focused on their life story not yours. So stop looking at others . Follow your path , it is different.
4. Cut the debt . A very practical advice , if you have debt you have to pay the bills . To pay the bills you will pick up anything that comes your way.
You get caged and stuck to a rat race as bills need to be paid. The bigger house and car is not worth it if it puts handcuffs to your dreams.
Cut your debt if you wish to live an intentional life and choose your work.
I went to zero debt before I began my entrepreneurial journey.
5. Listen to your heart . If it does not feel ok your heart will tell you . You will feel it in your body.
If you feel the dread of waking up , going to work or dealing with a client know that something is missing .
Check for alignment . You have to feel the joy of creating. If you find a client is always picky and is running you down , does not respect you , it is not worth it.
Not being aligned to your calling hurts you in ways more than one ways . Don’t postpone, get out , drop such a client or job , it’s going to be detrimental to inner peace .
6. Don’t pick up clients who don’t have money to pay . I have had such clients who want the work to be done but don’t have the capacity to pay .
They would promise to pay once their business picks up. I would pick them up anyways hoping when they when they do well they would pay .
This was a mistake they would soon drop out or drain me without any joy or value for what I put in as effort.
Bless such clients, to go on their someone they can afford. Don’t compromise it never works.
If the clients you work with don’t see value , it’s not worth it to hold on , bless them and let them go immediately. Either way they will go, it’s better you let them go.
If you don’t value yourself, no one else will.
7. Don’t pick up any business that does not align with your values even if it pays well . When your heart is not there in what you are giving out in the world , don’t do it.
There is karma and it will come back to bite you some day. Any business that is not aligned to your values where you feel people are getting cheated or the vulnerable are exploited, stay way.
Ask the question ‘why’ do you wish to become an entrepreneur and what is the ‘value’ you are adding to the world.
Find those clients that align with your ‘why’ and drop the rest . Trust the universe to take care . Focus on adding ‘value’ with your unique ‘gifts’.
Alignment brings joy to life there is no other way to live.